All of my recent sewing, bar an emergency pair of pyjamas for me, has been of the bed covering variety. I finally finished The Dragons and Thomas was really pleased with it.
I backed it with the fishes that i used in Nico’s cathedral window cushion and tied it with orange sock yarn and I’m really happy with how it looks. Unfortunately all the knots came undone in the wash! I think it will hold together though so I’m not going to worry.
Trying to get a decent photo of the whole thing ended up in this happy accident:
That was me holding it up and Nico took the photo with the iphone. Not a technically great photo, but I love how the slight blurryness (sp?) makes it look as though the flames are really dancing!
I never got around to taking a photo any of the times it was neatly displayed on the bed, but here’s what it looks like most of the time (ie. the days Jackie is not here to tidy his bed!).
Can you see what’s underneath The Dragons? I have a feeling it’s really more popular…. Here’s the other side:
The fabric shop in Independencia that sells the Ikea fabrics also sells duvet sized panels. You have to search through a huuuuge pile of not very clean cotton, but if you’re lucky, and have eagle eyed friends to help, you can find Lego City, Lego Star Wars and lots of others. Not just Lego, there was Disney at least, and I’m sure there was more, but I only had eyes for the Lego ones.
Thomas and Nico each have a reversible Lego City duvet cover now, and one pillowcase each. If I recall I think that pile of fabric was priced at $5.000/kilo and I paid $10mil, which was 6 or 7 panels, so not bad going. What’s funny is that they were obvioulsy duvet covers before they ended up in a grubby pile in Santiago because they are hemmed and some even have buttons across the bottom. So they were taken apart just for me to put them back together again!