Pattern: Butterick 5721, View D, Size 22
Machines: Janome 2160QDC & Elna 744 Overlocker
Fabric: Quilting cotton, Telas x Kilo Santiago (2009)
As usual, I start a project then get bored and drift off to do something else, but another few spring like days last week got me back to work on this shirt. I bought the fabric on my first ever trip to Rosas, an IAC tour group trip. I hadn’t realised what Santiago had to offer until then, and boy have I made a lot of return trips since!
I was saving the fabric for the right pattern, and I’m so glad that I didn’t decide to use it for the disastrous potato sack that was Butterick 5538.
As usual I’ve added a few of my own touches, like a different fabric for the facings, yoke lining and collar stand. It is in fact the ill fated stripe from the potato sack, I thought it was different enough but would still coordinate with the butterflies.
I think if I used this pattern again I would use the pattern pieces for DD instead of DDD cup, particularly with the gathered front. I really should have reduced the side fronts a bit, but I had overlocked the princess seams and I decided life is too short. This top may need a padded bra, which isn’t something I usually have to choose!
I made my usual bicep adjustment adding in 6cm, and the sleeves fit really well. They are a perfect elbow length as well, quite flattering for my shape I think.
I will fdefinitely make another shirt from this pattern, quick and easy to put together, well drafted, and a good fit through the torso. Very happy with my new shirt.
Not so sure about my staff photographer!