Pattern: Burda 9860, size 13.
Machines: Janome Mylock 744 & Janome 2160
Fabric: printed sweatshirting, and grey poly/cotton ribbing from Parentelas on Davila.
I’d cut out a couple of new hoodies for the boys months ago. Then stuffed the pieces in a bag and forgot about them.
Today I pulled the bag from the bottom of a pile of other similar bags. I wanted to know if I could sew a hoodie in a day. I mean I knew I *could*, but would I?
As it turns out, motivation didn’t desert me. I put the hood and its lining together first, then the pockets, which I also lined with the ribbing fabric. I’ve made this hoodie a few times already and I’ve been changing the side seam pockets to kangaroo pockets since the second iteration.
Next I overlocker the zipper to each of the fronts. This image shows my usual trick for making sure the zipper take doesn’t slip when you start overlocking. I used the cream thread to make it obvious in the photo, then regretted that when I couldn’t tweeze it out from under the black overlocking threads.
Can anyone spot the mistake? It was really quite remarkably stupid. First person to comment (here on the blog, not on Facebook or Twitter) identifying where I went wrong, gets a free sewing class!
After finishing the zipper, sewing the shoulder seams, and applying the pockets, it was time for lunch, and then we went out for a couple of hours, which would normally mean the end of productivity.
But, we were home before 5.00 and Bill offered to cook the tea (an excellent fish curry), so I took myself below stairs again and got back to work.
I basted the hood and then overlocked it. I thought about top-stitching the seam down, but then I forgot to do it, but it looks fine as it is.
I also basted the sleeves in (flat method) before overlocking them, just because experience has shown that that extra minute or so is well worth it in terms of time saved when I screw up the overlocking!
Then I overlocked the side seams, finished the raw hem edges, pressed up narrow hems on the bottom and the sleeves, and stitched those on the conventional machine with cotton embroidery floss in the bobbin.
That was an old favourite trick I hadn’t used in decades (well, years) until my student Stephanie needed a little something special to finish a top. It’s a nice touch, and adds a smart detail to just about any garment, as long as the fabric is sturdy enough. You stitch from the wrong side, so that the decorative thread is on the right side, so you must be sure about your stitching line. Pretty easy when it’s the hem of course!
The intended recipient tried it on and gave it a thumbs up, but refused to model it for the blog. Luckily big brother is more obliging (and truthfully it fits him perfectly and hangs on little brother somewhat!)
So, it was almost made in a day, except for the cutting out. Given that it probably took about 20 minutes to prep and cut the fabric, this is a definite Sunday project.
The next hoodie though is cut from a new pattern. With ribbing at the waist and wrists. We’ll see how that goes. And when. 🙂